We are so tickled to introduce to you one of our dearest friends (and fellow foodie!), Lauren Wyman. She is a driven woman, follower of Christ, raising two littles on her own, and is SO much more creative on vegetables! This is BY FAR not the only solution she has created to increase vegetables in her diet! Please welcome her to the blog!
I’ve always enjoyed cooking and love to learn and experiment with food, good food and creating new flavors. This recipe was born out of boredom and a desire to put more vegetables into my daily diet. Let’s face it, eating 5 cups of vegetables a day is not the simplest task!
- 8 medium organic raw whole carrots (with at least half the green stalks still attached)
- a full head of organic cauliflower
- one shallot (I prefer these to onions because they sweeter)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of grassfed whole milk or organic heavy cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup of free range organic chicken broth or organic vegetable broth
- 6-8 pieces of bacon cooked till crispy (I used Trader Joes ends and pieces)
- 1/2 -1 tbsp of dried basil and salt and pepper
After cutting and washing the vegetables, I put them all in a steamer and cook them until I can push my fork through the carrot without trouble. While the veggies are cooking I start cooking my bacon on a low heat so it’s get crispy.
I then put all the steamed veggies and all ingredients (except the bacon!!!) into my food processor and pulse until it’s all smooth (mine takes about 5-7 minutes).
I then put everything in another pot to out in the stove to warm up and season it to taste. While it’s warming, I take out all the bacon and layer it with paper towels to get off excess grease and then crumble it.
Put the soup into the bowl and top with crumbled bacon and some shredded cheddar cheese. Enjoy!